Thursday 16 September 2010

I am a person with more than one person in them. The old term for it was 'Multiple Personality Disorder' but it's called 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' (DID) nowadays which is fine by me because 'DID' sounds a lot less like crazy. I am still getting my head around it all. When my clinical psychologist first talked to me about it I thought of all the typical scenarios you imagine when you think of someone with Multiple personalities. I was seein a middle aged woman skipping down the street in a school uniform and pigtails and then later going for a drink in the pub wearing overalls and a tartan shirt and burping and farting and trying to pull a woman. I thought I couldn't possibly have this disorder as I'm quite aware of my mood shifts etc and I definitely don't have any overalls; but I am learning that it's not just so explicit as that. DID can be more subtle and for me, it is subtle yet distinct. I would like to tell you more about this but yet I'm already aware that having several opinions and views going on in my head at the one time, may make for a blog that is inconsistent and contradictory to itself.
On one particular day I may be able to give you a wonderful insight into DID, the next I may completely deny its existence.
I hope you will find this interesting anyway and perhaps it will help me to learn more about who's who in my mixed up world inside my head. Please bear with me (us) though and I will try to bear with myself. I predict that there are parts you may never hear from on this blog as there are parts that don't like much reflection or writing, but I will talk about as much as I am aware of.
But for now, sleep is needed.

No comments: